Get a free quote
For More Information: (800) 731-1909
Posted May 28th, 2014

Surveyed Respondents Fail to Allocate Necessary Cybersecurity Resources

According to the Environmental Protection Agency, only 25% of the 2.37 million tons of electronics ready for end-of-life management are collected for recycling. One has to wonder where the other 75% is, and what type of sensitive data remains on each device. Sadly, too many retired IT assets – computers, cell phones, monitors, copiers, and more – end up in landfills. Toxic chemicals such as lead, cadmium, mercury and other environmentally-damaging substances seep into the ground, and into water supplies.

Not only are improperly recycled retired IT assets dangerous to the environment, but the data on them is vulnerable and available to cyber criminals. While Securis is fortunate to work with government agencies and contractors, companies, and individuals who take cybersecurity seriously, today’s article on CNN Money is a reminder that companies must continue to further prioritize efforts to protect data.

Cybersecurity is no longer just an afterthought; it’s a core part of any successful business strategy. Yet in the battle to secure cyberspace — where cybercriminals are becoming ever more adept at looting precious data — many U.S. organizations are not wisely defending themselves.

According to a new report from PricewaterhouseCoopers, most U.S. organizations are not prioritizing their security spending or appraising their digital assets. Of the more than 500 U.S. businesses, government agencies, and law enforcement services that responded to the survey, only 38 percent said they strategically invest in cybersecurity based on risk and impact to business. And just 17 percent reported taking steps to identify which business data are most important.

“Our respondents in the survey continue to fail to adequately allocate resources necessary to address the cybersecurity risks that we see out there in the marketplace. It’s disappointing,” said David Burg, Global and U.S. Advisory Cybersecurity Leader at PwC, which partnered with CSOmagazine, the Software Engineering Institute at Carnegie Mellon University, and the U.S. Secret Service on the survey. “Unfortunately, we’ve seen this pattern manifest for a number of years.”

Read the full article here.

E-waste in dump
image source

Comments are closed