Securis Case Study: Banking/Financial Services Client
Securis Client: Banking / Financial Services Firm
Locations: Washington, DC – Ashburn, VA
Requirements: Secure Responsible Electronics Recycling & Data Destruction, Compliance with EPA regulations, Gramm Leach Bliley and FACTA
Securis Customer Since: August 2011
Total eWaste Diverted from Landfills to date: 65,070 lbs
- Obsolete Electronics were Occupying Valuable Space and Incurring Considerable Costs
- Obsolete Data Storage Devices Were Posing a Data Security Threat
Client had accumulated quantities of IT equipment and data storage devices that had been decommissioned. This equipment was stored in multiple buildings and locations. As a result, it had become advantageous for Client to remove this equipment in a secure and environmentally friendly fashion. This equipment had to be disposed of properly so that the client remained in compliance with data security and environmental regulations, including EPA regulations, Gramm Leach Bliley and FACTA.
Securis Solution: Removal and Responsible Disposal of Electronic Assets with Off-Site Data Destruction
Securis’ on-site solution ensured the decommissioned equipment was disposed of in a sustainable, secure manner:
- Securis supplied a team of professional security technicians who arrived on-site at Client’s location.
- Securis attached its proprietary asset tag to each appropriate decommissioned piece of equipment to ensure tracking and accountability.
- All equipment was checked for data storage devices. Had unexpected data storage devices been found in the equipment, Securis had a dedicated procedure in place to facilitate compliance with local and national data security laws.
- Securis removed and recycled the appropriate electronics from Client’s facility in compliance with its Zero Export, Zero Landfill policy.
- Securis used locked bins to securely transport all appropriate data storage devices to Securis’ secure facility in Chantilly, VA.
- Securis scanned the serial numbers for each appropriate data storage device.
- Upon capturing and completing the serial scan, Securis shredded all storage devices in compliance with NIST 800-88 and DoD 5220 standards. All by-products of the shredding process were smelted by Securis’ EPA approved domestic partners, in accordance with its Zero Export, Zero Landfill policy.